When you are about to invest your life savings in a lawn mower, it is only prudent to carry out a tonne of research.
You ask everyone you know and search on Amazon, YouTube and Home Depot, and maybe even Wikipedia, just for good measure.
In your search, you will hear a lot about many companies, but one company you won’t hear much about is Kubota. This kind of discretion makes you wonder if the brand is any good.
Actually, Kubota is one of the best lawn mower brands in the world! So, what makes it so good?
We answer this question as we look at Kubota lawn mower reviews and also dive into the different lawn mowers they make and our top recommendation in each category.
Kubota brand overview?
Kubota is a Japanese company founded in Osaka in 1890. The company began as a foundry, making castings for waterworks and other daily commodities.
It quickly evolved into making engines for agricultural products and eventually their farm tools. In the 1950s, Kubota entered the construction equipment industry, becoming world-famous.
After some decades, Kubota entered the US tractor market by establishing an office in Grapevine, Texas.
This strategic move made it easier to reach a global audience and also helped fuel further innovation, including their foray into lawnmowers.
Half a century later, Kubota continues to create revolutionary farm and lawn care equipment.
Where are Kubota mowers made?
Kubota mowers are manufactured in several countries, including the United States and Japan. The company has production facilities in Georgia and Kansas in the United States and Japan.
Read: Kubota L3560 Challenges
Kubota Zero Turn Warranty
|Warranty Type||Kubota||John Deere||Cub Cadet|
|Warranty Period||3 – 5 years||2 – 4 years||3 – 5 years|
|Frame Warranty||5 years||2 – 4 years||Lifetime|
|Deck Shell Warranty||10 years||2 – 4 years||3 – 5 years|
What Makes Kubota Lawn Mowers Unique?
Unlike John Deere, Kubota didn’t start as an agricultural-products manufacturer.
The benefit of its unconventional journey is that Kubota has tapped into its other areas of expertise to create truly remarkable lawnmowers.
Some of what sets them apart are:
- Eco-first production – Kubota has won numerous awards for its commitment to making products while putting the environment first. So, while they have yet to debut an electric mower, they try minimizing their carbon footprint during production.
- Quality builds – Kubota’s history as a foundry has enabled it to make solid lawnmowers. For example, they use steel hoods and fenders on their riding tractors instead of plastic like some competitors, including John Deere.
- Wide range – Unlike other companies, Kubota makes every type of lawnmower, from pushmowers to stand-on mowers. They also offer a robust selection of zero-turn mowers and garden tractors.
- Mowing performance: When it comes to mowing performance, Kubota lawn mowers leave no blade of grass untouched. With their powerful engines and precision cutting technology, Kubota mowers boast an impressive cutting width of up to 60 inches. That’s like mowing through your lawn with a laser beam!
- Cutting-edge technology: Kubota doesn’t just rely on brute force to get the job done. Their lawn mowers are equipped with cutting-edge technology that enhances performance and efficiency. From advanced mulching capabilities to intelligent grass collection systems, Kubota ensures a superior mowing experience.
- Engine power: Kubota lawn mowers pack a punch under the hood. With engine power ranging from 21 to 30 horsepower, these machines can easily tackle even the toughest terrains. They make mowing feel like a breeze rather than a workout.
- Cutting width: Covering a large area in less time is every homeowner’s dream. Kubota understands this and offers various cutting widths to suit different needs. From 42 inches for smaller yards to a whopping 60 inches for larger properties, Kubota has you covered.
- Mulching capabilities: Say goodbye to clippings and hello to nutrient-rich mulch. Kubota lawnmowers excel in their mulching capabilities, finely chopping grass clippings and redistributing them back into the soil. It’s like giving your lawn a natural spa treatment. (See the best mower for Zoysia grass)
- Grass collection capacity: Sometimes, mulching isn’t the answer, and you must collect grass clippings for a cleaner look. Kubota mowers come equipped with spacious grass collection bags, capable of holding up to 9 bushels of clippings. That’s enough to make your neighbors green with envy.
- Ergonomic design: Kubota knows that mowing can be a tiring task. That’s why their mowers are designed with comfort in mind. From adjustable seating positions to ergonomic controls, Kubota ensures you can conquer your lawn while keeping your back and hands happy.
- Durability and reliability: Kubota lawn mowers are tougher than a stubborn dandelion. Built to withstand the test of time, these mowers are constructed with high-quality materials that can handle whatever Mother Nature throws their way. In fact, studies show that Kubota lawn mowers have an average lifespan of 15 years, making them a long-term investment that won’t leave you mow-tivated to buy a new one anytime soon.
- Fuel efficiency: Kubota knows that lawn mowing shouldn’t drain your wallet faster than a Formula 1 race. That’s why their lawn mowers are designed with fuel efficiency in mind. With an average fuel consumption rate of just 0.5 gallons per hour, Kubota mowers let you mow like a champ without breaking the bank. That’s more money in your pocket for post-mowing celebrations.
- Noise level: Nobody wants their peaceful Sunday morning disturbed by the roar of a loud mower. Fortunately, Kubota lawn mowers are as quiet as a whispering breeze. Thanks to their innovative noise reduction technology, Kubota mowers emit a mere 75 decibels, quieter than most lawn mowers. You can mow your lawn without waking up the entire neighborhood, giving you the reputation of the quiet hero of lawn care.
- Maneuverability: Tight corners and tricky spots are no match for Kubota lawn mowers. With their exceptional maneuverability, you can navigate your lawn with the grace of a ballerina and the precision of a surgeon. Kubota mowers boast a turning radius as low as 18 inches, making them as nimble as a squirrel on a mission. Say goodbye to missed patches and hello to a flawlessly manicured lawn.
Different Types of Kubota Lawn Mowers
Kubota offers an impressive lineup of commercial-grade mowers, including:
Kubota walk-behind mower reviews
Kubota makes 21-inch deck mowers for residential use with a 2-in-1 bag and mulch function. The deck is die-cast aluminum, making it strong, durable, and rust-proof.
Commercial walk-behind mowers
If you prefer the ease of use of push mowers but have a very large lawn, you’re in luck.
Choose from a 36, 48, or 52-inch deck to clear lawns from ¾ acre to 3 acres, with a five-hour runtime. This is one area where Kubota easily outdoes the competition.
Kubota zero turn lawn mower reviews
You can tell this company loves riding mowers because this is where they leave the competition bewildered.
You can choose from almost 30 Kubota zero-turn mowers! You get a 4-year warranty for their residential zero turns and premium features like cup holders, LED headlights, and full seat suspension.
Kubota lawn tractor reviews
Kubota lawn tractors are in a world of their own. Besides amazing features like steel hoods and puncture-proof front tires, they offer an impressive range for residential and commercial lawns.
You also get to choose between gasoline and diesel engine for personal use, while farmers can opt for diesel-powered front loaders with up to an astonishing 36.9 horsepower.
Kubota riding lawn mower reviews
Kubota riding lawn mowers: top-rated and reliable. Customers love them with an average rating of 4.7/5. Powerful engines (20-30 HP) tackle any terrain.
Wide cutting decks (up to 54 inches) for efficient mowing. Longevity is a standout, lasting up to 15 years.
Comfortable and maneuverable, they offer a smooth ride with an impressive turning radius. When it’s time to mow, trust Kubota for top performance and durability.
Kubota diesel mower reviews
Choose Kubota diesel mowers for unrivaled power and efficiency. With superior torque, they effortlessly handle tough grass and terrains.
Enjoy longer mowing sessions with excellent fuel efficiency. Low maintenance and extended lifespan set them apart from gasoline mowers.
Kubota diesel mowers outshine the competition, delivering power, efficiency, and durability in one package.
Kubota zero turn mowers price list
|Series||Fuel Type||Deck Size||Price Range|
|Kubota Z100||Gasoline||42″ – 54″||$2,500 – $4,000|
|Kubota Z200||Gasoline||48″ – 60″||$3,000 – $6,000|
|Kubota Z300||Gasoline||54″ – 72″||$5,000 – $8,000|
|Kubota Z400||Gasoline||48″ – 72″||$6,000 – $10,000|
|Kubota Z700||Diesel||48″ – 60″||$8,000 – $12,000|
|Kubota ZD1000||Diesel||60″ – 72″||$10,000 – $15,000|
|Kubota ZD1200||Diesel||60″ – 72″||$12,000 – $18,000|
|Kubota ZD1500||Diesel||60″ – 72″||$15,000 – $20,000|
|Kubota ZD2200||Diesel||60″ – 72″||$18,000 – $25,000|
Top 3 Kubota Lawn Mower Reviews
With so many great options, limiting our recommendations to just three was tough! Seeing as Kubota specializes in riding lawnmowers, we decided to pick from only this category.
1. Kubota T2290KWT-48 Lawn Tractor
This Kubota riding tractor has everything you need in riding a lawn mower. For starters, it offers exceptional cutting on any terrain and grass or weeds.
It has a 48-inch deck and runs on a 21.5 horsepower Kawasaki engine. With a travelling speed of 6.7 mph, you can mow an acre in half an hour or less.
To make your ride more comfortable, you also get cruise control, dual armrests, and a 12V power outlet to charge your phone.
Adjusting the cut height is also easy, as you get a dial instead of a lever. You also get a fabricated mower deck. (See also stamped versus fabricated deck.)
While this makes it slightly more expensive, you will enjoy using your mower for much longer than an alternative with a stamped deck.
Recommended Reading: Kubota L3901 Challenges
2. Kubota Z421 Zero Turn Mower
When it comes to zero-turn mowers, you can’t go wrong with Kubota. We highlight the Z421 because this commercial mower comes with all the bells and whistles.
As standard, you get a 24-horsepower gasoline, 2-cylinder hydrostatic engine. You can choose either a 54″ or 60″ mower deck.
This zero-turn mower is built for efficiency, with a top speed of 10mph and a huge tank of 6.8 gallons. The run time of 6 hours means you can cut 3-4 acres easily in one go.
When it comes to comfort, the seat is made of thick cushion and can provide 6 extra inches of leg room.
The controls are also easy to reach, and you get convenient features like a cup holder, storage compartments, and a 12V power outlet.
3. Kubota Z200 Series Zero Turn Mowers
We had to cheat for our final selection because choosing just one residential zero-turn mower was tricky, so we went with the entire series.
These riding mowers offer similar features like a 10-gauge steel, welded mower deck, storage boxes, LED headlights, and fixed ROPS (Rollover Protection Structure).
You then get major differences, like the deck size, ranging from 42″ to 54″, and engine power, from 21.5 HP to 25 HP.
The Z231KW-42 has a top speed of 6.5 mph, while the others can go up to 8mph. The wide-tread rear tires also offer better traction and weight displacement.
All models come with puncture-proof front tires and a 4-year, 300-hour factory warranty. Choosing the right zero-turn mower from the bunch will depend on the size of your lawn and how fast you want to go.
Interesting read: Common Kubota GR2120 Challenges and Solutions
Why isn’t Kubota More Popular?
Despite their exceptional lawnmowers, Kubota isn’t more popular for two reasons:
- Kubota only sells through authorized dealers. You won’t find Kubota lawnmowers in Home Depot, Lowes, or Amazon. While this strategy ensures quality control and excellent customer service, it limits availability.
- Pricey – If you’re on a tight budget, Kubota lawn mowers might make your wallet cringe. Their top-notch quality and cutting-edge features come at a cost. But hey, who said perfection was cheap? Consider it an investment in achieving a lawn that will make your neighbours green with envy (and maybe a tad jealous of your spending habits).
- Limited model selection: Kubota’s focus on quality means they don’t flood the market with an overwhelming array of models. While their selection is still impressive, you might not find the exact combination of features you dream of. Sometimes having fewer options means less decision-making stress. Think of it as Kubota simplifying your life, one mower at a time.
- Grass clippings reunion: While Kubota mowers offer excellent mulching capabilities, some users have reported that the grass collection bags could use more oomph. If you’re a fan of collecting clippings for a pristine yard, you might find yourself emptying the bag more often than desired.
Are Kubota zero turn mowers good?
Kubota zero-turn mowers are reliable and high-performance machines, popular among homeowners and professionals for their powerful engines, precise cutting, and maneuverability.
With various models offering different deck sizes and horsepower options, they cater to diverse mowing needs. Comfortable and user-friendly, Kubota mowers are a top choice for lawn care.
Other Lawn Mower Brands
Honda – Honda holds the crown for the best residential walk-behind mowers. However, even they can’t compete with Kubota’s commercial walk-behind mowers. Honda decks stop at 21” while Kubota decks go up to 52”.
Ego – Ego makes the best electric lawn mowers on the market. As a result, they are the only lawn mower maker in a class Kubota doesn’t yet offer.
Toro – Toro zero-turn lawn mowers offer a comfortable ride, powerful engines, and superior quality. This is a premium lawn mower company, just like Kubota, but Toro lawn mowers are more affordable.
Husqvarna – this Swedish company has been making good lawn mowers almost as long as anyone else, so they deliver exceptional products. Husqvarna mower has a great range of zero-turn mowers, but not as wide as their Japanese competitor.
Cub Cadet – Cub Cadet has grown in popularity in recent years thanks to their affordable riding lawn mowers.
They also make easy-to-use and very attractive lawn tractors, apart from a few Cub cadet ignition problems reported by users. Unlike Kubota, cub Cadet lawn mowers are best for beginners.
Kubota commercial zero turn mowers reviews
Kubota commercial zero-turn mowers generally receive positive reviews from users and professionals. They are praised for their durability, powerful performance, and precise cutting abilities.
Users appreciate the comfortable operation and ease of use, especially during long mowing sessions. The brand’s reputation for reliability and high-quality construction adds to their appeal.
However, individual experiences may vary, and it’s recommended to check specific models and read customer feedback for a more comprehensive understanding.
Are Kubota zero turns worth the money?
n my experience, Kubota zero-turn mowers are definitely worth the money.
I’ve used one for three years, and I can say that these mowers are reliable and powerful, making lawn care tasks a breeze.
The precise cutting abilities ensure a neat and tidy lawn every time. Although they may have a higher upfront cost, their durability and quality construction have proven to be a long-term investment.
The comfortable operation and ease of use make them a top choice for anyone serious about maintaining their lawn efficiently.
However, it’s essential to consider individual preferences and specific needs before purchasing.